Friday, November 18, 2011

Cultural Shock

It has been three months when I first joined a class at college in Washington, away from home, in the “free world”-America. One of the classes I took was on Broadway, down town and the other at Des Moins. It was exciting having the experience to study with fellow “ferenges”--that is how we call western people in my country-- and also making friends. What I encountered at one of my classes was funny and same time reminder how we live in cultures wide apart.
          At this particular class I was taking a class on the third floor and across the street we see the apartment parallel. Our instructor was very funny and as she puts it “dark humor”. At one point she started closing the curtains that face the apartment meanwhile she pop up a question unexpected, “has anyone seen any naked guys?”.  My eyes popped up and my mouth open with on disbelief. To my surprise one of my classmates said, “Oh! You just missed it” ,and the teacher replied, “oh really” while her eyes fishing for anyone to see on the balcony of the apartment.
           While I was reeling through the dialogues, another student-a woman said, “Ya! I did see that, he has a lot of tattoos”. Has the world gone crazy? It was funny and shocking in the same time. In between these scenes one of the colleagues of the first witness confront him, “Why didn’t you tell me?” twisting herself to face him. Such type of scene is normal in Broadway, as our instructor later recounted her similar experience.
          It was surprising and shocking. For anyone from Ethiopia or similar cultures would be shocked to dialogue such conspicuous appearance and the instructor bold remarks were unheard and unthinkable where I grow up. This would not be my last experience; I am sure! Do you have any to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment